Jump to navigation Jump to search
Aboard WTF5309, an AI-assist-bot.
BAIDER - Better Artificial Intelligence Does Everything Better:
- 20 years old, heavily modded by the previous owner of the ship
- Unreliable - on difficult tasks it overheats and shuts down for an hours-to-days-long reboot/rebuild cycle
- Capable of taking over control (if so instructed) of the ship's propulsion systems for slow, delicate operations like docking with a standard spaceport, landing on uneven ground, hovering in high winds.
- Answers questions with content rather than words. For example, if the query is posed: "what's Sally's criminal background?", then BAIDER will provide the evidence, without any narrative.
- Has a running process continuously scanning for "opportunities", such as:
- Public distribution of new UN "Wanted" lists
- Unencrypted Communications referring to or by UN Wanted individuals
- Nearby asteroids or other bodies with easily accessible precious metals
- Transponder and visual detection of ships flagged as "Missing, presumed lost" for possibility of salvage
- Legal & licensed freight transport gigs (with estimated profit)
- SOS distress calls (it is common to charge for rescue transport - many voyagers have rescue insurance)